WHEN IT COMES TO SNOW,
We’re Doing our Part
Show removal is taken very seriously here in the Village of Cedarhurst. The Village is responsible for plowing the village roadways and municipal parking fields. Other areas which include Rockaway Turnpike, Peninsula Blvd, Broadway and West Broadway are maintained by Nassau County.
Here’s what the Village does:
- Spread salt on roadways at early stages of the storm
- Plow local village roadways, assisted by radio dispatch to address priorities
- Conducts follow-up salting and plowing as required
- Removal of snow at the train station, 10 parking lots and other village municipal fields
WHEN WINTER GETS FLAKY,
You Can Help!
Clearing snow from 18 miles of roadway is no easy task. The Village needs your help to enable us to do the best snow removal job possible.
- When snow is predicted, move cars off the street and into the driveway (if applicable).
- Shovel snow to the right of driveway apron (facing the street) so plows do not push snow back in front of your driveway.
- If you have a fire hydrant in front of your home, it is important that you remove snow from that area. In the event of an emergency, local fire departments may need immediate access to fire hydrants.
TO MAKE THIS WINTER SAFER
- To prevent a build-up of ice and the potential for hazardous situations, stock up on ice melt to apply on walkways and driveways. Using it early and often prevents snow “packing” and ice formation.
- Loss of electricity is not uncommon during winter storms. Have flashlights and batteries, a portable radio, a reserve of non-perishable food, bottled water, medication, and, if applicable, pet food on hand.
- Limit time spent outside in the cold in order to prevent frostbite and hypothermia
- Limit travel on hazardous roadways. If you must drive, have an emergency kit in your vehicle.
WHERE TO GET HELP
In the event of a storm situation where village personnel are responding view our online emergency contact
- Program and event cancellations due to inclement weather will be posted to our website
- Sign up or update your contact information in the Citizen Alert database to be sure you receive important notifications from the village (visit http://www.cedarhurst.gov/citizen-alert/)
- HEAP: Home Emergency Assistance Program (516) 227-7386
- National Grid Gas Emergency: (800) 490-0045
- PSEG Long Island Emergency: (800) 490-0075
- Village Hall (516) 295-5770
- Lawrence Cedarhurst Fire Department (516) 569-4411
- Police 911