The National Weather Service and the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management are both predicting the next 24–36 hours (through Saturday) will be a rough period.
Coastal flooding for all the south shore communities in western Nassau is extremely likely. Up to 2 inches of rain will be mixed with up to 4 inches of snow. We will have very high wind gusts (up to 60 mph) which will probably cause tree limbs to fall and the resultant power outages.
Precautions you can take in the face of this storm:
- Avoid going outside. If you must, pay careful attention to avoid sawying branches, cracking sounds from tree limbs, flying debris and downed wires.
- Before the storm intensifies, move cars to high ground to avoid flood damage. The highest spots in the Village are along the LIRR tracks. Feel free to use the parking lot behind Village Hall. Just leave a note in the window with your name and cell number so that we can get in touch with you if necessary. Be careful not to park cars on designated coastal evacuation routes (Peninsula Boulevard and Route 878). You risk receiving a fine and having your car towed.
- If you live in a flood area, move personal belongings in the lower levels of your home upstairs to keep them safe from water damage. Check your sump pump to be sure it’s connected and working.
- NEVER touch or go near downed WIRES. Stay far away. They could be live and can cause severe injuries and death. Call 911 to report downed wires or call PSEG at 800-490-0075.
- If you are in a car and wires have fallen on or near your car, STAY IN THE CAR. Do not touch the door handles, do not open the windows. Call 911 and wait for help. Staying calm can save your life.
- In an EMERGENCY, call 911. For fire and medical emergencies, you can also call the Lawrence-Cedarhurst Fire Department directly at 516-569-4411.
- For downed trees or obstacles blocking the road, call the Village at 516-295-5770. We will keep the phone line staffed until the storm passes.
- To report a power outage, or to check on the estimated repair time for the restoration of power, contact PSEG:
Text OUT to PSEGLI (773454)
Online at https://www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/CustomerService/StormCenter