New York American Water Company announced that it will be flushing water mains as part of its regular preventive maintenance program. Cedarhurst residents may experience a drop in pressure or discoloration in their water between October 25th and November 2nd. New York American Water offered the following suggestions:
- Avoid running your tap water and using the washing machine or dishwasher while crews are flushing in your area.
- If discolored water occurs, simply run the cold water for a few minutes until it clear. This will allow the sediment to work its way through your pipes.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher. NOTE: If your laundry becomes stained, DO NOT PUT YOUR LAUNDRY IN THE DRYER. Rewash clothes immediately using detergent and add a rust remover. Most rust removers can also be used on stained fixtures.
- In some cases, slight discoloration might linger for a few hours. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been completed, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.