The Village would like to send out a friendly reminder to always lock your car doors whenever it is left unattended. Statistics in our area indicate criminals are not breaking windows or prying doors open, they are looking for unlocked cars. Unfortunately, it’s far from a rare occurrence, but you do not have to be a victim.
Follow these tips to help you secure your vehicle against future break-ins.
- Always lock your vehicle, even when it’s parked in your driveway or garage.
- Always take your keys or fob with you.
- Never leave or hide a smart key, valet key, or spare key anywhere in or on your vehicle, no matter where you park it.
- Never leave your car running while unattended or unlocked.
- If possible, park your vehicle in a locked garage.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Keep the exterior of homes and driveways well illuminated.
- Close all your vehicle’s windows completely when parked.
- Never leave valuable personal property in your vehicle.
- Also, secure the transmitter for your garage door opener to prevent access to your home.
Pay careful attention when you leave your vehicle and when you return to it. Watch for people lurking or stalking nearby. You do not want to be their next victim. Absentmindedly talking on your cell phone instead of being alert makes you a soft target for crime.
If You “See Something, Say Something”
Dial 9-1-1 and be ready to provide the police with as much information as possible regarding the description of the suspicious person or vehicle.