The National Weather Service has issued high wind, heavy rain and coastal flooding alerts for the south shore of Long Island. High wind warning remains in effect from 6 pm this evening to 6 am Monday morning with the potential of 2-4 inches of rain, along with possible coastal flooding.
Precautions you can take in the face of this storm.
- Move cars to high ground to avoid flood damage. The highest spots in the Village are along the LIRR tracks. Feel free to use the parking lot behind Village Hall. Just leave a note in the window with your name and cell number so that we can get in touch with you if necessary. Be careful not to park cars on designated coastal evacuation routes (Peninsula Boulevard and Route 878). You risk receiving a fine and having your car towed.
- If you live in a flood area, move personal belongings in the lower levels of your home upstairs to keep them safe from water damage. Check your sump pump to be sure it’s connected and working.
- NEVER touch or go near downed WIRES. Stay far away. They could be live and can cause severe injuries and death. Call 911 to report downed wires, or call PSEG at 1-800-490-0075.
- If you are in a car and wires have fallen on or near your car, STAY IN THE CAR. Do not touch the door handles, do not open the windows. Call 911 and wait for help. Staying calm can save your life.
- In an EMERGENCY, call 911. For fire and medical emergencies, you can also call the Lawrence-Cedarhurst Fire Department at 516-569-4411.
- For downed trees or obstacles blocking the road, call the Village at 516-295-5770. We will keep the phone line staffed until the storm passes.